One of the biggest struggles I hear from the women I coach in online business, is the issue of attracting clients. The online space is no joke, and in order to find clients, let alone your perfect client, there are few key steps you want to make sure you are doing. You may be surprised that it’s not as complicated as it may seem.
When I first started out in the online space back in 2012, I had myself in a tizzy! I thought everything I put out in my blogs and social media posts had to be perfect. I would spend hours doing research, writing, editing, having other people edit, and on and on. It literally would take me a week to write one blog. It was the most un-enjoyable part of my business. I hated to sit down and write.
The research was killing me. Every time I would do research, I would end up on other blogs and walk away feeling less than. I would read a blog and think to myself, “There is no way I can write it better than she did!” There were feelings of inferiority. I didn’t feel like I could creatively put my own spin on things. The feeling of writers block was something I became very used to. Ugh, the struggle was real!
I knew something had to give because, not only was I not attracting my perfect client, I wasn’t attracting ANY clients. Seriously, my email list was filled with family and friends but you and I both know, if you want to run a successful business you need clients.
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”]you and I both know, if you want to run a successful business you need clients. Click To Tweet
So, here are the 5 changes I made and I encourage you to make, to start attracting your perfect client. (I mean family and friends are great, but we are running a business here!)
- Start writing from your heart: Yup, believe it or not, people could careless about statistics, they want to know your story and how it relates to theirs. People don’t care what you are selling, but they do care how you can help them. In 2014, I decided NO MORE – and I started writing from my heart. What mattered, what fired me up, and how I could relate to my people. I got rid of the pressure of having to be the educator, ‘uber’ professional in all things nutrition, fitness, and mindset and simply started telling more stories about how these things have affected my life. I allowed my people to have those “A-ha” moments and those “Me-too” experiences. Just like when you read the beginning of this post – can’t you relate to trying to attract your ideal client and trying to do so perfectly? Be relatable, share stories… it not only makes for better reading, it makes for more loyal clients.
- Make your email list a priority: For a long time I would only focus on my blog. I tried to write a new blog weekly. Instead of making my email list priority number one, I would write the blog and then email my list saying “Hey I wrote a new blog, you can read it here.” Not literally like that, but along those lines. So, I was putting most of my energy into my blogs. And as I stated, it was sucking the life out of me, so I had very little left to give to my Inner Circle (my email list). I decided in 2014 I would change this. I started focusing more on my Inner Circle. These are the people that trusted me enough to give me their email, that is really really major. I knew I had to give them more and so I started emailing a minimum of once per week. Giving them awesome content, lots of free stuff, and every once in awhile I would refer them to a blog ONLY after giving them even more content. I no longer send them those emails about “Oh hey you, I have a new blog – read it!” That just wouldn’t fly. Nurture the heck out of your list, they deserve it, after all they gifted you with their email. That is a big deal!
- Be consistent: As online entrepreneurs I think we sometimes forget that people know absolutely nothing about us. We know we are great people. We have amazing lives with people who love us, but the people in the online space know nothing about who we really are (Another reason why stories are so important). In order to build trust and establish a long lasting relationship you must be consistent. Weekly blogs, emails, daily posts are a few to start. But, you also want to be consistent with how you show up in the online space. If you are launching an awesome product that gives your client XYZ make sure you give XYZ. There is nothing worse then false promises. Say what you mean and mean what you say, 100% of the time. This is super important in client relations.
- Give your best stuff away: If you really want to attract loyal amazing clients, you have to give your best stuff away. I know this sounds crazy, but again, you have to remember people on the online space know absolutely nothing about you. Your give away is their first encounter. Think of it this way. I invite you over to my house for coffee. You pull up and look at my house to assess your situation – totally normal and a natural thing we humans do. If my white picket fence is half up and half down you would start to wonder. As you walk up my driveway you see shutters falling off the house and the front door covered in chipping paint… well, again you would wonder, maybe at this point you would even be concerned. You ring the doorbell and a huge Pit-bull starts to bark and attack you through the door and I am nowhere to be found – well, now you are down right questionable about this whole experience. Are you getting the point? Make sure you are showing up with your best stuff. Make it look clean and professional. If you are giving away a free cheat sheet, jazz it up and load it with amazing content. If your freemium is a video series that is delivered daily for 5-days, make sure they show up on time and again are loaded with awesome content. When I opt into your freemium I am coming into the front door of your business, make it the best experience so that I never want to leave.
- Be authentic: This one is something you really have to consider. When I say be authentic, I mean as a professional. I am not your best friend, and I don’t want you to be mine, I am coming to you for inspiration, guidance, information…your expertise. Yes, I want to get to know you because I only want to work with people I can trust and who get me and me them. But, there is a fine line and it has a lot to do with your core values. People will see right through you if you are trying to pull the wool over their eyes. That is why speaking and writing from your heart is so important. You have an obligation as an online entrepreneur to show up as a professional. So, in my opinion, cursing or cussing (depends on where you live!) is not an option. Cursing has been proven to break trust, diminish the quality of a brand, and it will most definitely cost you a potential customer. Now, if cursing is your authentic professional self, by all means go for it, if you want to attract clients who also want to be cursed at or engage in cursing. But, studies have proven over and over that cursing distracts your ideal client from knowing what you stand for. Not only are you potentially risking a client, you are also risking networking opportunities. Professionals will seek other professionals.
People will often say, “But I curse in real life, so isn’t that not being authentic?” My response is always a resounding “NO!” Who are you professionally? What do you want your brand to stand for? Is cursing going to help or hinder your client? I think people, over the years, have gotten this way confused. Being authentic, as a professional, does not require you to put your personal life on display. There is a fine line and I strongly encourage you, if you want to build trust, to leave the cursing for the beer and wings night at the bar with friends.
If you are struggling with attracting your ideal client, it could very well have to do with how you are showing up OR not showing up in online space. One beautiful thing about being an entrepreneur is you can always change it up. Try one thing at a time but, always – always show up as your authentic professional self. Trust is the most important factor in building your online business.