We are quickly approaching that time of the year when every one is going to start talking about goals for 2016. You know the whole, ‘Who do you want to be?’ ‘What do you want to achieve?’ ‘Where do you want to take your business?’
The whole New Year – new you!
Don’t get me wrong; I believe setting goals is an important task. We all need to have focus and aspire to be better. When we map out specific goals we can then create a plan of action.
Have you been thinking about goals lately?
As a business owner it is especially important to have specific goals in mind. These can range from specific financial goals, to the amount of product you want to sell, and even the amount of clients you are aiming to work with.
Goals are needed but what happens when you don’t reach those goals?
As entrepreneurs we have to be open to the possibility of adjusting our goals. This doesn’t mean we failed, it may actually mean the complete opposite. It is when we become too rigid in our goal making that we can set ourselves up for a mindset trap.
Think about this as you prepare your goals:
- Make two lists of goals: Your ultimate goals and your realistic goals. For example, maybe an ideal situation for you would be making $2-million dollars in 2016. Which is perfectly fine and amazing! But, I want you to ask yourself, “Is this realistic?” – of course first dream of how your life would be – then write down your realistic number for 2016.The reason I like to do this is it gives me a short-term goal and a long-term goal. I may not be able to make $2-million dollars in 2016 (Although, anything is possible – right?) but that doesn’t mean I won’t keep striving for that. When you write it out and see it you can keep making strides toward that ultimate goal.
- Allow for flexibility: Believe it or not, goals were meant to be broken! As we evolve in our business more and more is revealed. You may discover your passion is actually in only one aspect of what you do or you may realize you want to do even more to help the people you serve. As more is revealed your goals may need to be adjusted. There is nothing wrong with this. In fact, I believe we should be excited when our goals change, it means we are discovering our direction. A good practice is to check in with yourself every few months; I call it ‘check yourself before you wreck yourself’. This is where flexibility is required. Ask yourself:
- Am I where I want to be?
- What am I doing really well?
- What can I be doing better or where am I struggling the most?
- Is there a need to adjust my goals?
- If so what new goals should I set?
It’s important to be honest and realistic with yourself, especially as your business grows. More will be revealed as you journey in building your business. The need for change may arise, be excited and realistic. Keep checking in with yourself and adjust goals as needed.
- Be sure your goals are in line with what you want: I see way too many people setting goals based off of what they think they should be doing or what they think they should want out of their business. Your goals should be in line with your core values and the mission of your company. Too many people look and see what other people are doing and they get distracted. Stay in your business (Figuratively and literally) you always want to DO YOU! When we know what we do and why we do it, goal setting is a much simpler practice. Get laser focused and go about your business the best way it will work for you. In doing so, it will be the best experience for your clients and for you… that is the ultimate goal!
So, as the New Year quickly approaches and you sit to write out your 2016 goals dream big and realistically. Be open to being flexible. Most important be true to you and your business. Not sure what the goals of your business should be? It is time to hire a coach. These crossroads are true red flags that you are ready to level-up but aren’t sure how. Hiring a coach will be a very smart move.
I will be starting my 7-month Go Getter’s Online Mentorship January 15th, 2016. You may want to add this to your goals – just saying! Jump on my waiting list and I will keep you posted on when the application process will begin.
I will also be sending weekly emails on all things business and I will be hosting the Online Business Academy webinar series starting October 26th through the week of November 16th. Don’t miss out join the Go Getter’s Online waiting list today!
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”]‘Who do you want to be?’ ‘What do you want to achieve?’ ‘Where do you want to take your business?’ Click To Tweet
When we map out specific goals we can then create a plan of action. Click To Tweet
As entrepreneurs we have to be open to the possibility of adjusting our goals. Click To Tweet
Be sure your goals are in line with what you want. Click To Tweet